Removing unwanted hair can be time-consuming and frustrating. If you, like many people, choose shaving as your go-to removal system, you’re on a daily hamster wheel. You may spend just a few minutes on the activity, but you will have to do it again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next…for the rest of your life. There is a better, longer-term solution that will leave your skin smooth and supple. Call Vimi Laser & Skincare Center in Scarborough, ON and ask about the amazing benefits of waxing.
Why Does Hair Grow So Fast?
If only we could determine where our hair grew quickly and where it would stop, our hair would be long and plentiful and our legs always smooth. It just doesn’t work out that way. The reason your hair grows so fast when you shave or use depilatory creams is that you’re not at all affecting the source of hair growth—the follicle.
The Hair Follicle
This is where all the magic happens. The follicle is anchored to a deeper level of your skin, under the surface. At the base of the follicle is the bulb or “root”. This is where blood vessels come together to help cells multiply and create keratin, which is the protein our hair is made from.
As the keratin is built up, your hair enters its growth phase, which can last between 2 and 7 years. This is when it pushes past the surface of your skin. The hair we see above our skin, called the hair shaft, is made of dead cells, while the living and growing parts remain below the skin in the follicle.
Shaving vs Waxing
We know how popular shaving is, and we get it. It seems to be time-efficient and cost-effective, but looks can be deceiving. If you spend time every single day shaving your legs, underarms and bikini areas, that may take a matter of 5 -10 minutes; but do you know how much time that is per year? We do. You’re spending between 30 and 60 hours a year shaving.
Let’s talk about cost. While the actual cost of one razor isn’t much, regularly buying new ones is running you about $60-$75 a year. And what about those lost hours? The average college graduate over the age of 25 makes $36 per hour. So all those hours you spend shaving could add up to roughly $2200 a year, or the cost of a nice vacation.
The Dangers of Shaving
It’s not just the price and time you spend shaving. You should also consider the risk involved. Experts are saying shaving isn’t as harmless as it seems.
Emergency room visits from women with a vaginal injury because of shaving have gone up tenfold since 2002. You’ve got sensitive areas with lots of curves that can easily be harmed.
Razors may be fine for straight surfaces, but your knees, ankles, and underarms are vulnerable to nicks and cuts. Each cut opens your body up to infection, and the more cuts you have, the more likely you are to develop scars. Check out the backs of most women’s ankles who have spent a lifetime shaving and you’ll see the scars. There’s a good rule of thumb for many of the areas we shave—if you can’t see what you’re doing, you shouldn’t be doing it with a sharp object.
The constant action of shaving and the angle at which we do it promotes ingrown hairs. While these can be painful and unattractive, there’s a bigger risk. When a shaved hair tries to break through the skin again, it can curl back on itself and cause larger, more painful bumps that are easily infected.
Waxing is a hair removal treatment that, when done by skilled professionals, can leave your skin smooth, silky and healthier. A warm layer of wax is placed on the area to be treated and then a sterile strip of cloth is placed on top. When the wax cools, the strip is carefully, but quickly, removed.
This motion removes the hair from your skin, and with it comes the follicle where new hair is made. This provides long-lasting results: up to four weeks for some clients.
The Benefits of Waxing
Now, the good news. This treatment is a wonderful and even beneficial alternative to daily, futile methods of hair removal. Not only does it leave you with silky smooth skin for weeks, it can actually be good for your skin. Here are just some of the many benefits of waxing.
Most of us walk around with a layer of dead and dull skin cells covering our complexion everywhere on our bodies. We’ve gotten pretty good at exfoliating our faces, but what about the rest of our skin? When the wax is removed from our skin, it doesn’t just pull up hair. It also rids our complexion of dead and dull skin cells, revealing a healthier layer of skin and a brighter complexion.
Hair Can Grow Back Thinner
Because this treatment weakens the hair follicle, sometimes hair can come back thinner and easier to pull out the next time. If you have this treatment often enough, there’s a chance your hair follicles will become so disrupted the hair might cease growing altogether.
No Threat of Hyperpigmentation
When a person with sensitive skin or a specific skin type or health condition continues to shave, there’s a chance that small areas of the skin can change color and become darker than the rest of the skin. Sometimes these spots resolve on their own, but sometimes you’ll need a dermatologist’s intervention.
No More Razor Burn and Itch
We’ve all had to deal with the bumps that can result from shaving. And we all know what comes with those bumps—incessant itching. The kind of itching impossible to avoid, and once we scratch, we can’t stop. This just leads to further irritation and makes the area look utterly unattractive.
When you don’t have razors touching your skin, not only will you not get razor burn but you have zero risk of being cut. No cuts mean no scars. Your skin will look flawless and be smooth and silky.
What to Expect
When you’ve decided you’re ready to tackle your unwanted hair in a more effective and safe way, it’s time to make an appointment with a reputable skincare clinic.
What to Look for in a Skincare Clinic
It’s important you don’t let just anybody perform your waxing. There are attributes of a professional clinic that can show you they care about their clients and take their skincare responsibilities seriously:
- An unwavering commitment to hygiene
- Use of disposable wax cartridges
- Sterile towels
- Examination paper to avoid cross-contamination between clients
- Touch-free hand sanitizers and encouraged use of them
- Disposable sticks and a zero-tolerance policy for “double-dipping”
What Should I Do Before My Appointment?
There are pre-treatment instructions so you can get the most out of your waxing service and help make it the most comfortable and safe experience possible. Talk to your skincare specialist about their specific instructions to make sure all your questions are cleared up.
7 Days or More Before Treatment
There are certain cosmetic treatments that can’t be done within a certain amount of time before your appointment. Please wait these specified times for certain treatments:
- Six months after laser and IPL treatments
- Six months after surgical procedures
- Seven days or more after microdermabrasion and chemical peels
24-48 Hours Before Treatment
As your appointment grows closer, it’s time to prep your skin:
- Exfoliate the treatment area to remove all dead skin that may hamper treatment
- Ensure your hair is at least the length of a grain of rice
- Avoid hot tubs, saunas, and tanning beds
- Avoid direct sunlight and any sun damage
The Day of Your Appointment
These instructions are critical for a successful and comfortable session:
- Do not apply lotions, oils or creams to the skin being treated
- Do not apply makeup to the treatment area
- Don’t apply deodorant to the underarm treatment area
- Take a shower so your personal hygiene is appropriate for close contact
- Wear comfortable clothing so that when treatment is complete, the area isn’t restricted
There are some issues you must talk through with your skincare specialist. Some circumstances may require you reschedule or postpone treatment. Here are some special circumstances to know about:
- Accutane users are not good candidates for this treatment
- Your specialist should know in advance if you take anti-depressants or hormone replacement therapy
- Talk to your skincare specialist about topical products like retinols and topical steroids
- Make your skincare specialist aware of any blood-thinning medications you take
- Make your skincare specialist aware of all herbal supplements you take
- One week before your period, your skin cells are inflamed, so consider this when scheduling
- We cannot wax on any type of infection, including bacterial, fungal or viral
- If you have the herpes simplex virus, we will consider treatment 48 hours after treatment with an antiviral medication
During Your treatment
You will be taken to a relaxing treatment room where you’ll be asked to disrobe enough to make the treatment area discreetly accessible. You’ll be given something to cover up other areas. Your specialist will talk you through each step of the process.
As the wax and hair are removed, the area will immediately be soothed by a cool topical cream. When your treatment is complete, you’re ready to go home and enjoy your newly smooth and supple skin.
Once you’re home, there are some post-treatment instructions to follow to ensure the health of your skin and so you can enjoy maximum benefits from treatment:
- Apply a cold compress or pure aloe vera gel to the treatment gel for the low likelihood of soreness
- Avoid hot tubs, saunas, hot shows and tanning beds for 24-48 hours after treatment
- Take lukewarm or room temperature showers for 24-48 hours
- Avoid exfoliating the treatment area for 24-48 hours
- After two days, exfoliate the area to prevent ingrown hairs
- Don’t apply scented lotions or perfumes to the treated area for a few days
- Avoid strenuous activity that causes excessive sweating for one to two days
- Avoid direct sunlight or use SPF 30 or above
- Avoid chlorinated pools for a few days
Your results will be immediate. Your skin will be smooth and silky and look amazing. You can expect results to last between 3-4 weeks, but each client’s results are different. The more you consistently receive treatment, the more sparse your hair growth may be, resulting in even smoother skin between treatments.
Call for an Appointment
Who you choose to take care of your skin matters. Call Vimi Laser & Skincare Clinic in Scarborough, ON and schedule an appointment with our professional and meticulous staff. We believe in bringing out your natural beauty by providing you with unparalleled treatments and service.