If you have acne scars or scars from an injury, you may be wondering if you can get rid of them. While there is no magic wand that will remove a scar completely, scar removal treatment with lasers is pretty close. It will reduce the appearance of several different types of scars so many of them are almost invisible.
Types of Scars
There are three main types of scars that respond to laser treatments, including:
• Scars raised above the skin level called keloid scarring. These scars are usually hard, purple in color and are caused when the body produces too much collagen while healing a lesion.
• Scars that are firm, pink and slightly raised are called hypertrophic scars and are common after an acne lesion heals.
• Scars that look like a tiny indention in the skin are also common after acne and are called atrophic. Sometimes called ice pick scars, they form when the skin doesn’t produce enough collagen to heal a lesion.
The Types of Lasers for Scar Removal
There are various laser systems available for scar removal. We have seen great results using the fractional laser treatment.
What to Expect
When you talk to our specialist, you will learn more about the type of laser that is best for reducing the appearance of your scars. If you are a good candidate for scar removal treatment with lasers, you will be given certain instructions to follow before the treatment, such as:
• Stop smoking at least two weeks before your appointment, as smoking inhibits tissue healing
• Stop taking blood thinners such as ibuprofen
• Stop using skin care products that contain certain ingredients
• Stop exposing the treatment area to direct sunlight, tanning beds or sun lamps
After each treatment, our specialist will give you instructions for caring for your skin at home. To get the best results from your scar removal treatment, you need to follow the instructions carefully.
You may count on the reduction of the appearance of your scars, but it may take some time. You may not see results immediately after the treatment. The best results may be realized after a series of treatment sessions.
Book an appointment at Vimi Laser & Skincare Clinic to learn more about scar removal treatment with lasers. You may be able to finally get rid of those scars and have clear skin again. Contact us today to schedule your consultation at our office in Markham or Scarborough.